Tuesday 26 June 2012

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter Vs L'Oreal Rouge Caresse Lipstick.


Hi guys welcome to another battle of the brands! Fighting it out for supremacy today are two well known, drug store big guns, that have both been supplying cosmetics to the masses since early 1900’s. Cosmetics being the colossal industry that it is, it comes at no surprise that both these brands have brought out a similar product at the same time. Recently both have launched a moisturising, light weight lip colour, which I assumed to be a lip stick/lip balm.


Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter and L'Oreal Rouge Caresse Lipstick.




Let the battle commence.


L’Oreal states “Don't just stroke your lips, Caresse them. Lips say yes to this Caresse. A flutter of kissably soft light-weight feeling colour. Its delicate texture glides onto lips creating a veil of colour with a luminous shine”.


Revlon states “Buttery Balm + Shiny Colour - Buttery balm with beautiful shiny colour to give you baby soft, healthy glowing lips 94% of women felt lips were softer, smoother, and instantly hydrated”.


Sounds lovely! But do they deliver?


First off - colour selection. L’Oreal have 13 shades of Rouge Caresse on Boots website ranging from quite deeps reds and purples to light pinks, where as Revlon ColourBurst Lip Butters have 14 shades on Boots website but don’t really cover the deeper shades (but they have an orange). So I went for 07 Cheeky Magenta from L’Oreal which is an amazing shock of bright pink. I absolutely love this colour, it’s so bright (hitting the neon trend this season). However for Revlon I went for something completely different, 015 Tutti Frutti which is orange. I was very happy to find this colour in their collection, I know orange isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and but I am pleasantly surprised that they took the plunge and went for something a little different. Both of these colours are also shimmer free which is a preference for me. 


 


Packaging. Revlon Lip Butter’s come in a plastic ridged case with a clear square at the top so you can see the product inside. The tube is secured with quite a strong clasp and the bottom of the case pulls out to reveal the product. The L'Oreal Rouge Caresse packaging is completely different in style. Instead of opening at the bottom it opens in the middle but still uses a strong clasp (neither of these should be opening in you bag). Also L’Oreal uses a clear case with the colour of the product depicted in plastic on the top of the lid. Both products have the colour and code on the bottom of the case to help with repurchase and bloggining alike. Even though the Revlon packaging does not offend me in the slightest, the L’Oreal packaging does win out for me. Its chic and classy and generally looks more expensive than the other. Also I like the centre opening better because the other is a bit of a faff on (anything for an easier life lol).





Statement Accuracy and general usage. As cosmetics statements go I found L’Oreal’s to be surprisingly accurate, as this product glided on to my lips and is not heavy at all! How ever Revlon’s statement is maybe not as accurate. The product is a “buttery balm with beautiful colour” but it did not make my lips feel any softer. It does need to be noted that with both products I do use a lip balm underneath for added moisture, and now I think about it neither product could be classed as a lip balm because after use neither left my lips feeling hydrated.


Over all I am very happy with both products. I think both are good value for money (£7.99 each) and very good quality. However I do have a favourite and it is L'Oreal Rouge Caresse Lipstick. Even though this is not the best for funky, obscure colours I did find it the best for statement accuracy, packaging and general feel on my lips. This does not mean that I wont be using my Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter because I love to rock the funky lip colours, it just means that I would be checking out the L'Oreal counter first when I fancy another.


Oh just before I go, I would say that both products would be great for brides who want a touch of colour on their big day because they could reapplied all day without using a lip brush, and they would not be too much hassle (just remember to bring lip balm as well).



Stacey x x

No comments:

Post a Comment